Friday, March 12, 2010

The Flip Side

The experience of parenting is an exercise in living in the "extremes". It is extremely awesome, difficult, exhausting, rewarding, joyous, confusing, younameit.

This week was a perfect example. It was a h a r d week. But it was also a terrific week.

The weather broke, need I say more?

We took family walks, at Jeb-Speed, which is to say we picked up rocks and sticks and pointed out every hydrant/basketball hoop/flag/bird/plane. They were the exact walks that you fantasize about before you have kids.

We had spontaneous baking sessions. We also had spontaneous cookie-eating sessions.

Jeb and I took naps together in mama's bed with the windows open. The breeze was just cool enough that a sheet and some cuddling felt divine.

My friend came over for a play date with her 1 year old and 3 year old. There was a virtual hurricane in my house for 4 straight hours. The kids belly laughed and played and jumped and tumbled. The mamas sipped coffee and enjoyed broken conversation --- pausing often to holler "stop that!" or kiss a boo boo or offer a snack or pick up most of said snack off the floor.

Bennett, Jeb and I had a dance party in the kitchen listening to Johnny Cash. (I know dance parties and Johnny Cash don't often go together, but hey, that's us.)

There are so many other moments that were just regular, but fabulously so.

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so perfect. It's nice that you had such a great week in light of your last post. I always try to remember the positive too when I'm going through a hard time. I hope things begin to look up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete